Sunday, December 28, 2008

treating myself

So yesterday was my birthday. Finally legal all over the world! Anyways, I definitely treated myself to some new music before i leave for London. Here's a peak at what I bought yesterday (Soundscapes has a boxing week sale!), but shhhh about how I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

Little Joy, Santogold&Diplo, Bon Iver, Tusks.


SeeqPod - Playable Search

I also bought this year's edition of Best Music Writing. This year, Nelson George was the guest editor, and his introduction was really interesting. It says a lot for who I am and who I want to be.

Here's an exerpt:

"The most exciting, vital role of the critic is to identify and advocate new movements, particularly those that serve minority taste and grow organically out of a community of like-minded individuals, be they a collective of DJs, music loving druggies addicted to the same substance and sounds, or bold dancers looking for their particular perfect beat. In many cases it is from some combustible combination of these elements that a true movement is born. I think that the ability to give voice and definition to such communities can be what makes or breaks a music journalist."

It's a pretty big deal.

P.S. I also saw Yes Man, mainly for my love of Zooey Deschanel, but oh man. Such a funny movie! But she is great. And so damn pretty.

No comments: